Sunday, January 27, 2013

Neon and Bling

I need to be rescued from Cali fashion!  Soon!

Walk down the streets of Cali and it is a challenge to find women who don't have rhinestones somewhere on them.  And if they don't, they probably have on at least one article of neon clothing.  There are exceptions of course.  But by and large the Calenas love their rhinestones and neon.

I went shoe shopping a few weeks ago and struggled to find sandals without rhinestones.

Window display of purses: hardly a thing that doesn't shine.

I had previously thought it was general knowledge that rhinestones don't belong on clothing articles of girls over the age of about 13.  But oh do things here shine.  Jeans are almost required to have rhinestones on the back pockets. (In case the butt job didn't draw your attention there already.)  Hair clips are most certainly covered in them.  And if your shirt has a pocket, you can rest assured that there will be a rhinestone to adorn it.

But, this situation gets worse.  There's a bigger problem.

When I first arrived here I would look at all the rhinestones and neon and think, "Oh that's so tacky!"  30 second pause.  "Damn! I sort of like it."  The space between those two thoughts is shrinking to a dangerously short length.

See, the thing is, I really like sparkly things.  Almost as much as I like sugar.  I blame it on all the glitter involved in synchronized swimming.  But really, chandeliers, shiny jewlery, christmas lights.  All good things.  I mean, I even like the Twins stadium because the floors sparkle.  Well that, and they have cotton candy.

So when I went shoe shopping, it was a struggle to turn down shiny pair after shiny pair.  Luckily, just as I was about to cave, I found a nice non-bedazzled pair and logic won out. 

But this situation is getting dangerous.  If I come home decked out in rhinestones and neon someone stage an intervention.

Please!

No comments:

Post a Comment