Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Bailamos!

Last weekend here in Cali was the Festival Mundial de Salsa, or the World Salsa Festival.  So of course that's where I was to be found Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evening.

With Richie, my coworker and dance partner, and Catherine, my coworker and awesome new neighbor.  Eating passion fruit suckers which are also pretty awesome!









At the finals with Kathleen

There were several different categories for teams and pairs to compete in.  There were teams from other countries as well but apparently its rare for people who aren't from Cali to win.  And its not hard to see why; the speed with which they move their feet is downright impressive!

It was inspiring to spend the weekend watching such fantastic dancers!  Despite Cali being considered the world capital of salsa, I have to admit I've been a bit disappointed with the social dancing here.  Most people here learned to dance by watching family members as they grew up so their salsa is fairly basic.  It was a nice change of pace to spend some time watching some dancers who are truly phenomenal at what they do.

Here's to hoping this is me next year and to the many, many hours of practice coming up.  

 



This group is from the school that I am taking lessons at.  I didn't record much of them because their pink sequined (ie. AWESOME!) outfits were making it hard for my camera to focus.







There was even a baseball themed number......



......And Nicole, this one's for you! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment